To Get Straight to the Point
I just opened a shop on Society 6.
What is Society6?
It is a Print On Demand website. Artists upload their designs, customers purchase them and Society6 handle the production and delivery, whilst the artist receives a percentage of the profit. You can also register as an affiliate to promote their products.
Society6 versus Zazzle
I already have a Zazzle shop and my first thoughts are that it is very different to Zazzle. In some ways it’s better and in some ways it’s worse. Basically – it’s just different!
- It’s quicker to add designs to products – once they are uploaded (see Cons!).
- The shop front looks clear, clean and very attractive.
- The instructions for the dimensions required for uploads are very detailed.
- Some products also have this nice mock-up display showing the product in-situ as above.
- I think designers get paid more or less straight away. With Zazzle you have to wait until your earnings reach a certain figure which, with average commissions of 38 pence on a greetings card, could take you a very long time!
Disclaimer: this website and post may contain affiliate links for BlueHost, Zazzle, Society6, Shutterstock, WordPress and Grammarly and if you click on a link and purchase the item or any item on that website I may get a small commission (which will go towards my Art Deco house restoration fund!)
- The upload process seems to take ages (unless it’s just my computer).
- You can’t crop, edit or add anything to your design once uploaded.
- Customers can’t personalise their designs which is a big selling point on Zazzle.
- Sellers can’t protect their designs with watermarks.
- It doesn’t have a user-friendly sharing system as Zazzle does: I can’t click a button and display an image on this page like I can with my Zazzle products.
- Following on from this, they provide me with an affiliate link to a product, but it’s just a text link – I don’t know how to display a picture other than copying it!
- I can’t insert a banner here as I can with Zazzle. (I believe this is something to do with the ‘script’ code in WordPress.com preventing it displaying.)
- I cannot find a Forum on the site where other designers can help new designers with any problems they may be experiencing.
- The instructions for designers seem very limited (it took me ages to find out how to upload an Avatar picture).
- It doesn’t seem to offer International Sales as Zazzle does.
- There aren’t any viewing stats for designers as provided by Zazzle, just ‘likes’.
When I try to Display a Society6 Banner this is all I get:https://society6.com/js/show_banner.js
I Stand Corrected
As you may know, I am VERY VERY bad at reading any small print (hey, life’s too short) so if anyone has experience of Society6 and knows the answers to any of the CONS written above, I would be very grateful if you would tell me!
What Else You Could Do (and $10 discount)
I would be grateful if you could log onto my shop and LIKE a few of my products! I believe this is how my designs can rise higher in the product displays and if you click on this particular link to my shop you would get $10 off if you purchase anything on the whole site (with a minimum order value of $40)! Please read the small print on the offer!
Many thanks and thank you for reading my blog!